If you find yourself staying at home to avoid using your car because of the amount of money you use to pay for petrol, here are a few valuable tips that will help to decrease petrol consumption:
Follow These Steps to Reduce Your Car’s Petrol Costs
- Service your car regularly. Worn spark plugs, low coolant levels, dirty oil, petrol or air filters decrease the car’s engine efficiency in the long run.
- Reduce your car’s weight by removing all unnecessary items from it.
- Accelerate gradually and as smoothly as possible. Do not speed! The faster you go, the more petrol your car will use, especially if you go above 3 000 rpm.
- Check the wheel alignment. Bad wheel alignment causes friction and results in higher petrol consumption. Check for under-inflated tyres as these can also increase resistance.
- Close the car’s windows when driving and avoid using the air conditioner as open windows and air conditioning can cause drag.
- Avoid stop-starting. This also increases friction on your brakes.
- Wait out the traffic as traffic if you can, as this not only increases fuel consumption, but also wear-and-tear on your car’s transmission and brakes.
- Make fewer trips. Try to avoid many short journeys and combine all your errands into one trip to give your engine the chance to heat up.
Save Money with Earn-a-Car
Earn-a-Car will help you get behind the wheel of a car that you can eventually own. Our entire team prides themselves on delivering great customer service. From the moment you make contact with us to ensuring your car is in excellent condition. With over 1 000 cars for you to choose from and excellent car finance plans to suit your budget, you will be back on the road in record time.