Whether you have just bought a new car or whether you rent-to-own a vehicle, changing a tyre can be daunting, especially if you have never changed a tyre on a car before. There are important steps to take to ensure that your vehicle is up and running as quickly and as safely as possible. If you want to learn how to change a flat tyre, here is an easy to follow guide to help you.
What You Need to Change a Flat Tyre
- Warning triangle
- Lug wrench
- Fully inflated spare tyre
- Hub cap removal tool or screwdriver
Steps to Change a Flat Tyre
- First, find a safe place to pull over, with sufficient safe space from traffic to change the tyre and turn on the hazard lights.
- Turn off the engine, and apply your parking brakes.
- Place the warning triangle a safe distance away from the rear of your car, approximately 3 to 4 metres.
- Grab your jack, lug wrench and spare tyre.
- Remove the hubcap and covers on the nuts.
- Use the wrench to loosen the lug nuts. Turn them anticlockwise until loose, but do not remove them.
- Look for the jacking points on the car. These are found on the side of the undercarriage close to each tyre. If you cannot find the jacking point, these are indicated in the car instruction manual. Place the jack directly below the jacking point, closest to the tyre that you need to change.
- Manually adjust the height of the jack to fit between the car frame and the ground. Make sure the point of leverage is facing outwards.
- Use the jack to lift the car off the ground.
- Crank the jack until the flat tyre is off the ground.
- Remove the lug nuts and pull the tyre off the car.
- Put on the spare and push it onto the wheel base.
- Place the lug nuts on the spare and tighten with your hand and then with the wrench until tight.
- Use the jack to lower the car back to the ground. Remove the jack from underneath the car.
- Use a wrench to tighten the lug nuts fully.
- Place the replaced tyre into the trunk, where the fully inflated spare tyre is kept.
- Make sure the trunk is secure.
Easy Vehicle Finance with Earn-A-Car
Rent-to-buy a car with Earn-a-Car today. Vehicle finance is not always easy, especially if you have been blacklisted. Earn-a-Car’s rent-to-own option is an affordable and convenient way to rent-to-buy a car. Rent-to-own vehicle options save you time and money in the long run. Look no further for access to a safe and reliable car, without the hassle of obtaining finance from a bank.
For more information on rent-to-own, contact us today!