Ready to get on the road? You are going to need to get your driver’s licence first. Here’s some info on how to get a driver’s licence in South Africa, as well as all the licence booking info. 

Applying for a learner’s licence in South Africa

Ready to apply for a Code B driver’s licence? You need to be 18 years of age for your online learners’ booking. Go to your nearest driver’s licence testing centre. Here are some documents you need to have with you (contact the centre to confirm as these are sometimes updated). 

  • Your identity document
  • Two identical black-and-white ID photographs
  • A booking fee (contact your testing centre beforehand to find out about the amount as you need to pay in cash)
  • Proof of postal and residential address (utility account, phone account, bank statements, etc.) 
  • A letter with an official date stamp from the ward councillor if you live in an informal settlement 

Once you’re booked, you have 24 months to pass your learner’s test. Study the rules of the road carefully. Don’t stress if you don’t make it the first time – you can always rebook taking the same steps as above. 

South African driver’s licence test

Congrats on passing your learner’s test! Now it’s time to book your official driver’s licence to get into a vehicle. Go down to your nearest driver’s licence testing centre to book a test. Take your learner’s permit as well as all of the documents stated above to book a test. The only thing that will change is the fee. Contact the centre to find out about the fee before you arrive. 

Driver’s license renewal in South Africa

Now that you’re a licenced driver, you’re going to have to renew your South African driver’s licence every 4 years. Here are some documents you need to take with you for your driver’s licence renewal. Remember, this needs to be done at least 4 weeks before your licence expires. 

  • Money for the fee (contact the driving centre for this)
  • Identity document and a copy of your ID or valid South African passport
  • Four black-and-white ID photographs
  • Proof of residential address or letter from a ward councillor confirming your informal residential address

If you have a driver’s licence and you’re looking for a car, contact us today!